Sunday, January 18, 2009

When Carcajous Attack! Why I love Michigan football!


Michigan football has always been a passion of mine. I've been a Michigan football fan since I was very young. That passion has motivated me to starting writing about the Michigan football team and program on this new blog entitled "When Carcajous Attack!".

So what's a carcajou?

Well, I refer to the words of Ernest Thompson Seton, wildlife artist:




"Picture a weasel -- and most of us can do that,for we have met that little demon of destruction, that small atom of insensate courage, that symbol of slaughter,sleeplessness, and tireless, incredible activity --picture that scrap of demoniac fury, multiply that mite some fifty times,and you have the likeness of a Wolverine."Ernest Thompson Seton"Lives of Game Animals". 1925 - 1928. Vol. II

Carcajous are Wolverines.

And Wolverines are the nickname of the University of Michigan football team.

Let me first state that there are already a load of fantastic blogs out there that have been covering Michigan sports, and particularly Michigan football, extremely well. I read many of these blogs religiously myself. I simply wish to add to that critical commentary and discussion on this new blog. I will attempt to post as frequently as my work and other personal endeavors will allow, providing updates on the Michigan football team, football recruiting, coaching staff and college football in general.

From personal experience, being a Michigan football fan has always been a gut-wrenching experience. I grew up in the 1970s during which Michigan football experienced somewhat of a renaissance of success, winning 96 games, losing 16 and tying 3. One must bear in mind that some of Michigan's finest teams between 1970-1974were never invited to postseason play because the Big Ten conference administrative leadership would not allow it. Observing Michigan's gridiron success starting in the 1970s can certainly skew one's view of Michigan's true college football "greatness". When you witness a team lose 5 consecutive bowl games between 1976 and 1979, you can't help but think "man, being a Michigan fan sure does suck!". What I mean to say is, there have been moments of elation, but each one of those has seemingly been cancelled out by moments of despair.

Michigan fans should be, and are, quite proud of their football program. It's been lead by some great coaches and fantastic players, and comparatively speaking remains one of the most successful in terms of winning games. I am proud to be a Michigan football fan too. But my opinions about the football program right now are a little jaded given my observations over the last 40 years. This jadedness will no doubt make itself evident in my future writings.

And so we begin. I hope that everyone will enjoy this new blogging experiment and feel free to make comments and suggestions to me.

Thank you for reading!

Markusr2007

No comments: